[Spambayes] Using sb_upload.py

Graham Ashton graham at effectif.com
Sun Oct 3 16:12:35 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 16:16, Skip Montanaro wrote:
[Graham (me)]
>     >> The problem is, I don't want to have to kill the proxy in order to
>     >> train from my drag-n-drop application. If I were to develop a means
>     >> for sb_server users to train from the command line and provide a
>     >> patch, which approach would you prefer? I was wondering if a patch
>     >> providing -s and -g for sb_upload would be the right thing.
[Skip]
> Definitive? I don't know about that. ;-) I wrote it but no longer use it.  I
> use my tte script for training and sb_bnfilter for scoring.  As for -s and
> -g flags, that would be fine.  Some change in sb_server will obvious also be
> necessary.

I found that sb_upload.py already used -s to specify the server name, so
went for a [-t (ham|spam)] option instead. I didn't need to modify
sb_server.py to get this to work, so I hope whatever it is that Skip
thought would need changing doesn't!

I've attached two patches, one against version 1.0 and one against the
HEAD of CVS.

I'm using it with the drag and drop training program I mentioned in my
earlier post (Spam Trainer, now released on SourceForge) to make
training SpamBayes from within the Evolution mail client (or any other
GNOME mail client that supports drag and drop, for that matter) really
easy.

I went out on a limb and added a page to the Wiki for it:

  http://www.entrian.com/sbwiki/SpamTrainer

What do you think (of the patch)?

-- Graham