[Spambayes] Spambayes stopped working?

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri Oct 1 23:52:03 CEST 2004

[Ian]
> localhost:8880 continues to be not found.

Could you try telnet?  I'm doing this from memory, so the details may be
fuzzy, but it's something like this.  At a DOS prompt, type 'telnet' to
launch the Win98 Telnet application.  In the first menu (I forget what
it's called) there's a command Connect.  Hit that, and enter 'localhost'
as the Server and 80 as the Port.  If there's a Terminal Type or similar,
enter Raw if it's available, else ANSI or VT100.  Hit the OK button (or
Connect, or whatever it's called).

At this point you may get a "Connection refused" message, but I doubt it
given that netstat reports that the port is open.  You'll probably get
nothing visible happening, except for a flashing cursor in the Telnet
window.  Type the following, carefully - you must type it exactly as it
appears, without using backspace to correct any mistakes:

GET / HTTP/0.9

After the 9, hit Enter twice.  If you make a mistake, you need to start
again from scratch.  What I'm hoping will happen is that you'll get a
short error message of some kind from the SpamBayes server - IE has a
habit of discarding short error messages from web servers and just
displaying its own generic error page.  If you get no response at all
after hitting Enter, try hitting Ctrl+J and CTRL+M a couple of times
alternately.

Let us know what happens!

--
Richie Hindle