[Spambayes] A most peculair problem with SB 1

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Nov 8 03:14:44 CET 2004

> Having got that far I then wanted to install the POP3 proxy service:
> opening a DOS session at the Python/Scripts directory and running
> "python pop3proxy_service.py install" returns several errors [see
> below] which I can't interpret.
[...]
>   File "c:\Python23\lib\pickle.py", line 872, in load
>     dispatch[key](self)
> KeyError: '\x00'

This error occurs when there's a problem loading the (pickled) database -
from the traceback, the 'messageinfo' one.  There are a couple of likely
causes:

 1. The file that the config files points to as the 'messageinfo' database
isn't a pickle, it's a bsddb db.  In this case the [Storage]
persistent_use_database ("Use database for storage") option needs to be set
to "dbm", or the file needs to be removed to start with a fresh (empty)
pickle.

 2. Something has gone wrong with the messageinfo pickle (i.e. when it was
being saved).  CVS now saves to a temp file first to avoid this, but 1.0
doesn't, so it could be the case.

Otherwise, this might be a SpamBayes bug that's causing it to try and load
the database as a pickle when it has been told not to (I hope not, but it
could be...).

=Tony.Meyer