[Spambayes] Outlook error when Recovering from Spam

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sat May 22 23:55:24 EDT 2004

> I get an error in Outlook when a hit the Recover
> from Spam button and I couldn't find anything in
> the troubleshooting guide.
>
> The error is "Moving a message failed due to an
> unexpected Outlook error.  Exception 0x800cccd2
> (OLE error 0x800cccd2)".
>
> I think that I am getting this error because the mail
> comes from an imap inbox, which I cannot move mail into.

Yes, I suspect that is correct - the error is some sort of problem with an
IMAP APPEND comment, which fits.

> Generally when I move mail from the imap inbox,
> I move it to my Personal Folders Inbox.
>
> I would suggest adding (in some future addition) the
> ability to specify where an email is moved to when the
> Recover from Spam button is clicked.  (I am new to this
> program, so I may just not have run across this functionality).

You haven't missed this; it's not there.  What SpamBayes does is try to move
the message back to the folder it originally came from, and if that fails,
move mail to the main (in Outlook's opinion) Inbox.  In your case, are these
both this folder that you can't write to?  It wouldn't be that difficult to
allow the default 'recover' folder to be user-selectable, but this is a
pretty rare problem, so it's hard to tell whether it would be worth
complicating the user interface to add it.

> Question:  Even though the email(s) in question doesn't
> move out of the Suspected Junk folder, are statistics
> recorded on that email(s) prior to the attempted move
> operation?  If that is the case, I can still get statistics
> recorded and move the email(s) manually.

Yes, the training is done first, then the movement, so this should still
work (although you'll always get the error, which must be annoying).
There's also no guarantee that this will always be the same as new versions
come out, although it's more than likely that it will be.

=Tony Meyer

---