[Spambayes] Re: Question

Mathew Hendry TJLWBECGSGWU at spammotel.com
Sat May 8 16:22:47 EDT 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004 21:14:20 -0400, "Rob Caldwell"
<RMCaldwell at comcast.net> wrote:

>I have just installed SpamBayes and I am using Windows ME and Outlook 2000.
>I noticed that the newly created folders, Junk E-Mail and Junk Suspects,
>have the preview window opened.  I have disabled all of my preview windows
>in my other folders but cannot seem to turn off the preview windows in these
>folders.  I was advised to not have the preview windows opened because that
>opens the file and the sender can see whether or not the file was opened.
>How do I turn off these preview windows.

As a workaround, create some new folders without preview panes, point
SpamBayes at those instead, and delete the original folders.

BTW, Outlook 2003 and, I think, recent versions of Outlook Express,
remove this "web bug" problem by not downloading any remote content by
default, whether in the preview pane or in normal message windows.
This behaviour can be overridden on a per-message or per-sender basis.

Since I'm forced into using Outlook 2000 at work, I have a personal
firewall set up to allow Outlook to connect only to specific trusted
addresses - more complicated, but better than disabling a useful
feature like the preview pane.

-- Mat.