[Spambayes] VERY confusing...

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Mar 17 07:42:53 EST 2004

    Bethanie> First of all I don't understand half the stuff you
    Bethanie> suggested.

Not to worry.  Some of it was mostly for the Spambayes developers.

    Bethanie> My mail came through ok this am, even the spam didn't stop
    Bethanie> it..so go figure!!

Maybe you just got lucky and no viruses came through for Norton to suppress.

    Bethanie> Anyway I copied and pasted my settings..s Ihope it comes
    Bethanie> through below

Here's what I was asking about:

    Bethanie>       Storage Options
    Bethanie>             Cache messages:    No
    Bethanie>              Yes         Cache messages: You can disable the
    Bethanie>              pop3proxy caching of messages. This will make the
    Bethanie>              proxy a bit faster, and make it use less space on
    Bethanie>              your hard drive. The proxy uses its cache for
    Bethanie>              reviewing and training of messages, so if you
    Bethanie>              disable caching you won't be able to do further
    Bethanie>              training unless you re-enable it. Thus, you
    Bethanie>              should only turn caching off when you are
    Bethanie>              satisfied with the filtering that Spambayes is
    Bethanie>              doing for you.
    Bethanie>             Current Value:  Yes

The current value indicates the POP3 Proxy is caching the messages which
pass through it.  It needs to do that so you can come back later and train
on them.  If you have problems with mail getting lost/held up/whatever
again, please try setting that option to "No" and see if it solves the
problem.

Skip