[Spambayes] Re: Spambayes Digest, Vol 67, Issue 26 - Would like to move database

Tony Weber tweber at siemens-emis.com
Thu Mar 11 15:41:58 EST 2004

{my response follows assistance from Tony Meyer below}

   3. RE: Would like to move SpamBayes databases (Tony Meyer)
------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:56:12 +1300
From: "Tony Meyer" <tameyer at ihug.co.nz>
Subject: RE: [Spambayes] Would like to move SpamBayes databases
To: "'Tony Weber'" <tweber at siemens-emis.com>, <spambayes at python.org>

[Tony Weber]
> Our sysadm department is strictly limiting user profile disk
> space and I would like to move my SpamBayes databases out of
> the this area.
[...]
> Is there a way to do this?

[Walter Gorlitz]
> There is if you use the python version, but there isn't a
> setting for it in the Outlook plug-in's GUI. Perhaps this
> could be added to a future version's Advanced pane.

[Remi]
> What you can do is move your database where ever you want then you have
> to tell spambayes that your database has move.
[...]
> P.S. I'm not using the Outlook plugins so ..... no garanty that this
> will work but it should......

Unforunately neither of these replies is correct.

Walter is correct that the option is not *exposed* via the GUI, but it's
still there and still usable.  It's not exposed because it's considered more
advanced than advanced, so if you want to do it, then you have to get your
hands into the config files.

Remi's description is correct for all the SpamBayes applications *except*
the Outlook plug-in, which does things it's own way.

What you actually have to do is described in the Configuration Guide.  If
you do Help->About SpamBayes, then click on the Configuration Guide link,
there are instructions there (at the bottom under "Multiple Configuration
Files").  Basically you have to create a configuration file in the default
location or in the SpamBayes program directory itself that includes the
[General] data_directory option, pointing to the location that will be used.

Some people have had trouble following the instructions in the Configuration
Guide.  If you, too, have troubles, please let the list know and someone
will help further (preferably, also explaining what wasn't clear, so that we
can fix the documentation).

=Tony Meyer

---

I played around with the information you supplied and found out
the following.

I had moved my "large" databases from the default directory

	\Documentation and Settings\<user>\Application Data\SpamBayes

to my local directory

	\Outlook files

There were two .ini files in the first directory:

	default.ini
	default_bayes_customize.ini

that were getting referenced every time I started up Outlook.  I found
that "default" was my "outlook_user_profile" via

	Settings->Control Panel->Mail>Show Profiles

thus explaining the default.ini file.

I tried adding:

	[General]
	data_directory:\Outlook files

to each of these .ini files but the application ignored it.

Per the suggested reading material I created a file

	default_configuration.ini

in the same location

	\Documentation and Settings\<user>\Application Data\SpamBayes

with the same General entries but this also had no effect.

Copying the latter file to any of the

	Program Files\SpamBayes

sub-directories also failed to change anything.

I finally did

	Start->Programs->SpamBayes->SpamBayes Outlook Addin->Properties

to find out the "application directory" path which turned out to be

	\Documentation and Settings\<user>\Start Menu\Programs\SpamBayes

When I put the

	default_configuration.ini

file in that directory things appeared to start working as desired.

After restarting Outlook, working with spam, and shutting it back down
I found that

	\Outlook files

contained 3 SpamBayes files that were being updated

	default_message_database.db
	default_bayes_database.db
	default.ini

The last one appears to have been created when things started working.

No files are being accessed in the

	\Documentation and Settings\<user>\Application Data\SpamBayes

any more, which is the desired effect.

Thanks everyone!

P.S.  I attempted to copy spambayes at python.org with yesterday's
      mail but it bounced.  Hopefully this will work today.

(Anthony A.) Tony Weber                   tweber at siemens-emis.com
Siemens Power Transmission & Distribution, Inc.    Mail drop: 012
7225 Northland Drive             Brooklyn Park, MN 55428-1540 USA
Office: (763)536-4461    Fax: (763)536-4919    Lab: (763)536-4665