[Spambayes] Corrupted Outlook .pst

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 23:40:16 EDT 2004

[Matt Naish]
> Does anyone have experience with fixing a corrupted outlook .pst file?

Not beyond running scanpst.exe ("Inbox Repair Tool"), no.

> SpamBayes was doing its thing when I hit the infamous 2GB pst file size limit (if
> a pst file exceeds 2GB the file becomes corrupted and outlook cannot open it).
>  I have tried some of the suggested solutions like removing 25 to 50 MB of the
> file with a hex editor and then running scanpst.exe (Inbox Repair Tool), but to no
> avail.

There are commercial programs (== cost $$$) that claim to be able to
do better, but I have no experience with them.

> Maybe my corrupted file is somehow related to SpamBayes operations?

I don't think so.  Every version of Outlook I've ever used routinely
corrupts its .pst files (according to scanpst.exe), regardless of
Outlook version, addins, or Windows version.  My current OL2003 on
WinXP Pro does so too, whether or not SpamBayes is installed.

Because the SB addin attaches a spam-score field to each message it
scores, the .pst file needs to be a little bigger in order to hold
these scores.  That's the only effect I expect SB has on .pst files.