[Spambayes] Is this coming from Spambayes?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jun 24 22:23:01 EDT 2004

> I inadvertantly put a good email into bad and didn't
> catch it,  until I realized that I was not getting
> mail from an important listserv. So, I ended up
> uninstalling Spambayes and hopefuly deleting my
> training file.

Uninstalling does not (deliberately) delete your training file.  It looks
like you're using Outlook, so this applies to that - if you're not, let us
know and we'll correct this information.

You can correct misclassification if you still have the misclassified
message.  Just find it in your spam folder, select it, and click the
"Recover from Spam" button.  All the appropriate (re)training will be done.

If you want to start from scratch, just open up the SpamBayes Manager
dialog, click the Training tab, and tick the "rebuild database from scratch"
box.  Then do whatever initial training (just two empty folders if you
really want none at all) you want to do.  All the files will be taken care
of appropriately.

> I am getting this junk with Spambayes in the subject
> line.

This is spam coming through the spambayes mailing list.  If you want to know
why we don't do anything about this, please read FAQ 5.8:

<http://spambayes.org/faq.html#why-does-the-spambayes-python-org-mailing-lis
t-get-spam>

> Plus I'm getting returned emails that I didn't send,
> which I have not opened.

Unfortunately, this is pretty common these days.  Basically, a spammer uses
your (anyone's) address instead of their own as the reply address and so
bounce messages come your way.  It's growing to be as much of a problem as
it spam itself.  SpamBayes can learn to filter this out as spam as well,
although it's extremely difficult (for spambayes or a human) to distinguish
between legitimate bounces and others.

=Tony Meyer

---