[Spambayes] Installing Spambayes on Windows 2003

Robert Neuschul robert at imagine.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 01:19:43 CEST 2004

Hi

I'm in the process of trying to install both Python and SpamBayes on a
new Windows 2003 server.

Both Python.org 2.3.4 and ActiveState Python 2.3.2 fail to install: the
former tells me that I'm not logged in as administrator, asks if I wish
to continue and if I do continue it then fails to write anything to
disk other than a corrupt entry in Control Panel Add/Remove programs. I
am logged in as Administrator. Explicitly doing a Run As and setting
the python installer to run as DOMAIN\Administrator makes no difference
The ActiveState Python MSI simply tells me there's a problem in the MSI
path and exits immediately. Changing the source directory also makes no
difference for either of these versions of Python.

At this point I'm kind of stuck; I still have our old Win 2000S system
running with SpamBayes, but that's due for decommissioning next week.
Quick searches of both Python.Org and ActiveState web sites show no
obvious reasons for these failures. A Google on "Python install
problems in W2003" also sheds little light on this.

Can anyone suggest what might be going on?

TIA

Robert.