[Spambayes] Re: Question about spambayes configuration

Mathew Hendry TJLWBECGSGWU at spammotel.com
Thu Jul 8 23:36:44 CEST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:13:55 -0500, "Bob Kersey" <bobkersey at comcast.net>
wrote:

>I recently installed Spambayes and I am truly amazed at the results!
>
>One part I cannot figure out is, in the Spambayes Manager under the Advanced
>tab there are two settings.  One called "Processing start delay" and it is
>set at 2 seconds and "Delay between processing items" and it is set at 1
>second.  What do the actually do and how would changing the times affect the
>operation of this program.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help in explaining this to me.

Processing start delay = how long SpamBayes waits, after being informed by
Outlook of new mail arriving, before beginning to filter the new messages

Delay between processing items = how long SpamBayes waits, after filtering
one message, before moving onto the next one

As to why, it's to do with Outlook's message rules, and it may take some
experimentation to find the ideal values for your system. There's a little
more info here:

http://www.entrian.com/sbwiki/BackgroundScanningForOutlookRules

FWIW, I don't have any problems with the values 1.0 and 0.5, and I'm running
about a dozen rules, mostly server-side (Exchange Server 2000).

-- Mat.