[Spambayes] spam fighting suggestion

Tommy Sund atelje at stunt.se
Wed Jan 14 10:47:50 EST 2004

--
Hello!

I have an idea regarding strategy for fighting spam. I do not know if
you are the right person(s) to talk to or if this is the right
email-adress to do so but I read about you in an article on wired.com
(Random Acts of Spamness).

I am not programmer and I do not  have any experience i developing
applications, and perhaps you´ve already entertained and dismissed
the idea. But nevertheless am I going to take shot at it.

So! lets get to it.

Bothered by many of spam messages every day I started thinking of a
way to bite the hand that feeds the spammers. So! Here´s the idea.

I imagine a programme (say a plug-in or something) that acts as if
you actually click on the links that the spam-email provides you
with. I.e. the programme acts like a browser or rather more like the
bots that search engines use to scour the web. However this bots only
purpose is to "click" on the links contained in the spam in the
background unbeknownst to the user. The data (webpages) that the
spammers servers sends is routed right into digital oblivion.

The idea is that if lets say, a million spam recievers is doing that
simultaneously it would result in a increased workload for the
servers in question, effectively giving them what they are giving us,
a lot of unwanted data.

I´ve chosen to call this feature "attack". when you find a spam you
click on the attack-button or you´ve programmed the filter so i
automaticly "attacks" the spammers. I also think that one can
probably tinker alot with the parameters of the attack. lets say how
many times your filter will attack and how "deep" it chooses to click
it´s way in. By "deep" I mean how many layers of "links-within-links"
it will click.

Do I make sense? or am I just confusing you? :-)

I hope I´ve made myself understood, if i haven´t, it´s probably
because I am an idiot and don´t know what I´m talking about. ;-)

Best regards

Tommy Sund
sweden.