[Spambayes] Outlook Express question

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jan 12 19:07:05 EST 2004

> Now I need to reconfigure Outlook Express to look at the
> Spambayes proxies. This is the part I'm having trouble with.
[...]
> I've tried localhost and localhost:8890. (8890 is the port
> number I chose).

Try telnetting to localhost:8890 and seeing if that opens a connection for
you or not.  If not, then it's unlikely that you're proxying there.

Try using the default ports of 110 and 25 to proxy on, rather than 8890 (and
?), unless you are already using those for something.  This way the setup is
very simple, because you don't have to fiddle around with ports at all.

Do you definitely have the values entered correctly?  In the "Remote
Servers" box, you should have something like "pop.example.com", and in the
"SpamBayes Ports" box, you should have something like "110" (or "8890", if
you really need to).

Note that you can't proxy two things on one port, so, for example, you'll
need to use different ports for POP3 and SMTP, and different ports for each
server you are proxying.

=Tony Meyer

---