[Spambayes] RE: Outlook plugin

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Thu Jan 1 00:40:54 EST 2004

[Coe, Bob]
> I think you've gotten too cute for your clientele. Spambayes setup is
> already confusing enough without the arbitrary enforcement of the
> developers' undocumented notions of best practice. If you think
> training on the "sent" folder is a bad idea, say so in the
> installation instructions; but don't incorporate another unexpected
> restriction.

Except it's not arbitrary.  Highlight a message in your Sent Items folder
and try to get the spam clues.  You should be rewarded with an error box
saying that no filterable mail items are selected.  That's not an arbitrary
decision on our part, it's that *Outlook* doesn't create enough MAPI
properties for items *it* puts in Sent Items to allow us to score one of
those beasts.  One way or another, that quirk of Outlook is going to get
reflected in what we can do; the "unexpected restriction" is due to
Outlook's special-case treatment of  Sent Items.

That said, we'd be more consistent if we also hid (e.g.) Contacts and
Journal, and for the same reason:  right or wrong, the way Outlook treats
these special predefined folders, they don't contain any filterable items
either (at least not when used as Outlook uses them).