[Spambayes] Outlook 2000 fails to recognize new mail

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 12 17:13:15 EST 2004

> Outlook was functioning fine before I installed SpamBayes,
> hence my belief that SpamBayes is responsible for the fact
> that the email icon and the sound don't work much anymore.

Well, you can always test that by disabling spambayes (in the Manager
dialog), or uninstalling it, and seeing if the problem goes away.  (If you
uninstall then reinstall you won't lose any training data or configuration
data).

If it does go away, then I suppose spambayes could be causing some sort of
problem (but it certainly isn't deliberately altering the sound/icon) -
maybe a conflict of some kind.  In that case the only thing I can really
suggest is to open a bug report with as many details as possible, and
someone will try and figure it out at some point.

(You could also see whether enabling/disabling background filtering makes
any difference, and whether the 1.0a9 (0.9) release makes any difference).

> What would you recommend me to do?

If it doesn't go away, then it's not SpamBayes, and I don't know what could
be causing it.  The times where the sound is played and icon shown when mail
is filtered as spam are correct - this should be happening.  The times when
it's not done - maybe checking the Outlook settings?  Or doing a "Detect and
Repair"?  Or googling for similar cases?

=Tony Meyer

---