[Spambayes] RE: Ideas for an MSc project please...

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Mon Feb 9 15:11:51 EST 2004

[Bob Coe]
> Actually, Chris wasn't complaining about the unreliability of
> his mail system; he was complaining about the impact on his
> throughput of server-side filtering. And I think he has a
> point.

So Chris knows that server-side Bayesian filtering is resource
intensive, but still chooses to implement it on an old desktop from
1999. Rather than bemoan the resource intensive nature of filtering he
chose to use, why not try some reasonably modern hardware for a critical
business function? Peak-demand planning is part of a systems
administrators job. I don't try to run my database servers on
five-year-old old desktops, because I *know* SQL servers require more
horsepower when more than a few connections are in place.

My point is this: spam is not going away soon, nor are viruses. Systems
administrators have known this for several years. Planning and
maintaining the infrastructure to deal with that is our job. Buying new
hardware doesn't solve the majority of  IT problems, but it could have
solved this one for Chris had he planned well.