[Spambayes] BEGINERS' PROBLEM

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Dec 13 00:24:28 CET 2004

> I'm infested with spam on Outlook Express and try to solve
> the problem with SpamBayes. So I download SpamBayes latest
> + Python 2.4 (so no need for the e-mail package) + Win32
> extension with mfc71.dll missing.

Is there any reason that you didn't download the binary installer for
SpamBayes instead?  It is much simpler to get going, and is the same code.

SpamBayes 1.0.1 does not work with Python 2.4 (this will be fixed in 1.0.2).
You will need to either use Python 2.3 or the CVS source of SpamBayes.  (Or
the binary, as above).

> I setup my OutlookExpress to "localhost" or "name of my PC"
> and the Web as explained. But so far nothing happened. Here is the Log:
[...]
> Listener on port 110 is proxying pop3.populis.com:110
> User interface url is http://localhost:8880/

When you say "nothing happened", what do you mean?  If you download new
mail, do they arrive?  If you check the "Review messages" page on the web
interface, are messages listed there?  When messages arrive, are they tagged
with the SpamBayes headers?  (Since you're using Outlook Express, you'll
need to use the "notate to"/"notate subject" options in order to get Outlook
Express to do any filtering - are those modifications occurring?)

> I cannot find on the project the missing mfc71.dll and I
> need your help to finish this set-up.

I do not understand the references to mfc71.dll.  Why do you believe you do
not have this, and why do you believe that you need to get it?

=Tony.Meyer