[Spambayes] Is this spam on the spambayes list.

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 17:54:17 CEST 2004

[akonstam at trinity.edu, on spam from 123media]
> Did anyone else get this message which looks like spam at the
> spambayes list address?

Yes, and the spambayes list doesn't do spam filtering -- sending spam
to this list is thoroughly on-topic <wnk>.

> It came with 5 or 6 attachments which I did not include.

It should not have.  The spambayes list added an (one) attachment with
the spambayes list info.  The original message was multipart/related,
with an HTML part and a base64-encoded .gif image.  That's it.

> On our systems this got through spamassassin as well as SpamBayes filtering.

If you haven't trained SB on much (or any) French email, then SB will
think this one is Unsure (in the ballpark of 0.5).  Train it as spam,
and SB will nail it next time.  There were plenty of features to score
in the msg, as the vast bulk of the ad was in the HTML part; but it
was all in French, so it's most likely that your SB hadn't seen most
of the features in it before, so considered them to be neutral.   The
gif part was just a small logo advertising the spamware used to create
the spam, at <http://www.mailworkz.com/>.