[Spambayes] Imap use certainly is platform specific.- #2

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Aug 9 23:00:48 CEST 2004

NOTE: This is not exactly the same message I send a few moments ago.
It contains a new mystery so please look at both of them.

On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 03:47:58PM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> It's nothing to do with Python, and nothing to do with SpamBayes.  The way
> to demonstrate this is to telnet to the mail server, log in, and get the
> list.
>
> E.g.
>
> $ telnet
> telnet> o mail.example.com 143
> Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
> Connected to mail.example.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN] mail.example.com
> IMAP4rev1 2003.339-cpanel at Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:51:56 +1200 (NZST)
> 0 login username password
> 0 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY UNSELECT
> SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User username
> authenticated
> 1 list "" *
> * LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" ham_to_train
> * LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" spam_to_train
> * LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" spam
> * LIST (\NoInferiors \UnMarked) "/" unsure
> * LIST (\NoInferiors) NIL INBOX
> 1 OK LIST completed
> 2 logout
> * BYE mail.example.com IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
> 2 OK LOGOUT completed
> Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> I assure you that this problem is not platform specific at all.
>
> I realize I am being a pain but the last statement above is simply not
> true. When you execute these commands to a linux server the list command
> returns 900 some lines which are all the files in my home directory.
> Now imagine what happens when I go to the web interface and try to
> check which files contain my mail, which contain spam, which contain
> unsure. Each section of the display that allows you check boxes
> of which there are three contains 900 entries to potentially be
> checked.
>
> I discussed this with our Windows system people and they are going to
> check this out on the IMAP4 server (which, of course linux does not
> use) and let me know what happens. I tried to do it myself but I don't
> have a real mail account on the Windows mail server so I could not login.

To add to the confusion, although, I can successfully run the commands
above from my linux machine our Windows system person cannot. The
login fails with illegal syntax response. Ok, windows people whats
going on? Now one problem is that in order for the windows system
person to login he must precede his username with a domain
designation. We have multiple domains on our system and his user
account is in only one of them.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University