[Spambayes] Unix installation problem

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Aug 4 23:12:29 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 08:36:50AM -0700, David Pokorny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that I thought would be very common, but I didn't see it
> in the FAQ. My unix-like account does not support POP or IMAP, so my only
> option is to use the procmail filter, which is fine. However, when I
>
> python setup.py install
>
> the script complains that I cannot create folders in /usr/local/lib/...
> because I don't have root access. The specific problem arises right after
> setup writes: "running install_lib".
>
> I'd like to install these files in my personal directory; is there a right
> way to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

I have already shown I ma not an expert in Spambayes but in my opinion
( and I am using it with procmail as you want to do)
python setup.py install
is a machine wide install that needs to be done only once on the
machine and then you use the other python scripts as a user.
For example as it has explained recently to me do not us the init.rd
script that is included in the Linux and Unix documentation if you are
not the only user of the machine.

At least it is working that way for me.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science