[Spambayes] Using dialup up modem is tooooo slow

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Fri Apr 16 11:16:41 EDT 2004

[Bob Coe]
>Make sure your spam folder is NOT on the Exchange Server.
>(Create a new local .pst file if you don't already have one.)
>Once Spambayes has established that a message is spam, you
>want to deal with it locally. Sending it back to the Exchange
>Server takes extra time, especially over a slow line.

If you have Outlook 2003, the new "cached mode" for Exchange servers
works very well and eliminates this problem. All read/write activity is
done on a local, fully-synced copy of the Exchange mailbox, and changes
are propagated back to the Exchange server as bandwidth allows.

It's enormously better than the old "offline folders" sync mode in
earlier versions of Outlook.

We even use cached mode on our LAN, and it has reduced the load on our
Exchange server by 60%, since so much more processing and I/O happen on
the desktop machines instead of the server.

Regards,

	Ryan

--
All problems can be solved by diplomacy, but violence and treachery are
equally effective, and more fun.