[Spambayes] Unifying databases

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Fri Apr 16 01:19:15 EDT 2004

> My question is how do I tell spambayes to use a spam database
> on the server rather than the local machine, so that spam I
> zap on any machine gets incorporated into a central database?

[How to do this is explained in the Configuration Guide that is installed
with SpamBayes (it should probably be in the FAQ, too).
SpamBayes->Help->About SpamBayes->Configuration Guide and it's down the
bottom.]

You have to manually add a configuration file to each machine.  Create a new
file called "default_configuration.ini" in either the SpamBayes Data
directory (FAQ explains how to find that) or the directory that SpamBayes is
installed into (actually, I think it's the "bin" directory inside of that
one).  It shouldn't matter which of these you pick.

Put this (less the """'s) into that file:

"""
[General]
data_directory:\\server\path\to\directory
"""

That should be all it takes, and it'll now use the directory you've
specified as the Data directory (for the two databases and any further
configuration file).  You may wish to copy the files from the old directory
into the new one.

Note that if you have to have a separate configuration for each machine (say
the folders to move messages to/from are different) this is somewhat more
tricky - you'll have to copy the appropriate settings out of the
[profilename].ini or Outlook.ini file into the default_configuration.ini for
each machine (and then, probably, not use the GUI for configuration).

=Tony Meyer

---