[Spambayes] Outlook Express tray icon disappeared

Sean Pollock sean at elpnet.org
Tue Apr 13 10:28:25 EDT 2004

I looked for the SpamBayesServer1.log to no avail. (If someone could point
me in the right direction, I'd be much obliged.) Then I saw the announcement
of the new release, so I installed that for Outlook and Outlook Express (I
need to use both to keep two accounts separate), hoping it would be the
magic bullet.  Unfortunately, the tray icon was still red and still
disappeared when I moused over it.  So I looked at the files in the
Application Data folder, and in the bayescustomize.ini, I noticed that
persistent_use_database was set to pickle, which I had selected when I was
playing around with settings right before spambayes stopped functioning.  I
changed it back to dbm in the .ini file, and now it works again.  Though not
very scientific in nature, I perhaps discovered that if one changes the
persistent_use_database to pickle, then stops spambayes, it screws up the
program and makes the icon dodgy.  Anyway, I'm back on track and off pickles
for awhile.

-sean