[Spambayes] Ignoring Attachments

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Apr 6 18:30:16 EDT 2004

> Is it possible to have SpamBayes ignore messages with
> attachments? It seems that when SpamBayes internally opens
> the message to filter it, my anti-virus detects that the
> attachment is a virus and flags it. I'm just concerned that
> one day a virus will slip through that doesn't need the
> attachment opened to cause damage, and my anti-virus may not catch it.

See also the message from Webb, but:

I suspect that you're using sb_server rather than the Outlook plug-in, and
what's happening is that the anti-virus software is finding the copy of the
message that sb_server caches (for training purposes).  This is just a raw
copy of the text and is never 'executed' in any way, so can't do any harm.
Anti-virus software doesn't know this, though, so draws your attention to it
anyway.

If you use the "Use gzip" option (on the advanced configuration page), this
should stop the problem, as the messages will be gzipped before they are
saved in the cache.  They're still not executed and the anti-virus software
will probably ignore them.

=Tony Meyer

---