[Spambayes] Problem

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Apr 5 20:10:53 EDT 2004

> o  When new mail comes in, I have to switch directories or
> open an old message for the new mail to show up on the screen in Inbox.

Does this happen if you disable or uninstall (no training or configuration
data is lost if you uninstall then reinstall) SpamBayes?  I haven't seen
this reported before, and given what SpamBayes does, it's hard to see how it
would cause this.

> o  When I try to drag a new message to the "delete as spam" bar,
> it goes there, but it still shows up in the Inbox as an item
> until I drag another to the delete as spam bar, or until I open
> a new email or change directories in Outlook. If I go to the bad
> spam file I have set up, the message that I dragged there IS there,
> but it won't delete it's presence from the Inbox by just dragging.

I'm rather confused by what you mean here.  By "drag a new message to the
'delete as spam' bar", do you mean that you are:

  (a) Dragging the message to the "Delete as spam" button on the toolbar.
  (b) Selecting the message and clicking the "Delete as spam" button on the
toolbar.
  (c) Dragging the message to the Spam folder.

I can't see how (a) could possibly do anything, and it certainly doesn't
seem to here.  (b) should work fine, and the log indicates that this has
worked at least once.  (c) should move the message and train if the
"incremental training" options are enabled (in the "Training" tab in the
Manager dialog).

If you're doing (c) and you're ending up with a copy of the message in both
the Spam folder and the Inbox - are you holding down any keys when you do
this?  If you hold down the control key when moving a message in Outlook the
message is copied, rather than moved.  The cursor should have a little plus
sign on it if this is the case.

=Tony Meyer

---