[Spambayes] Anti -Virus

Dejonghe, Manuel Manuel.Dejonghe at cycos.com
Tue Oct 28 03:02:42 EST 2003

Please, somebody of the developer team read my answer and correct us, if
I am wrong, as I am not totally sure of what I'm telling here.

Spambayes has to open and read the email as it has to classify the words
in the mail.
It does not execute attachments, so viruses in attachments will not be
run/started.
Neither it shows the mail in outlooks preview pane or within the
internet explorer, so viruses and worms trying to "use" or exploit known
Internet Explorer vulnerabilities wont work too.

Somebody would have to write a new virus that is able to fool spambayes
(first of all Spambayes would need a vulnerability ;-) by using a (not
yet exsiting) buffer overflow-issue.

So, if you don't get another answer to your question by one of the
actual developers, your can rest easily.

regards, Manuel