[Spambayes] spamBayes is great, thank you all!

AndreasK services at AndreasK.de
Wed Oct 1 08:38:58 EDT 2003

Hi!

> > What a great program! Many many thanks ...!
That was my main reason for writing.
Just say thankyou ;-)
Especially as it is a FREE programm. How do you all make money?

> > because many Dummies might not be able to do all 4 steps ;-)
> > Publish an installer which includes all 4 programs:
> > Python, Python-Win32, SpamBayes and SpamBayes-Outlook-Setup !
> In the not-too-distant future, there will be an installer for
> Windows that installs either the Outlook plug-in, or a binary
> version of sb_server (covering those using POP3), or both if
> you really need both.
> Neither Python nor the win32 extensions are needed in that
> case (or, more accurately, the parts that are needed are included).
Good to know!
Inform me so that I can inform my Dummy-friends.

> > SpamBayes works just fine, removes 80%-90% SPAM automatically
> spambayes "should be" doing better than that.
Actually, it does.
Far better. 80-90% was a fast-shot-from-the-hip.

I have retrained (1674 good and 1900 spam)
- and today it sucked away 80 spam mails and missed only 2.
The problem is obviously NEW FORMS of spam. And I don't blame
SpamBayes for it. And then it's a quick click-and-away,
that's ok for me.

> If your primary language isn't English,
> that could explain it, as *most* developers and testers here use English.
> If, for example, your primary email language is German, then the Outlook
> addin's
> [Tokenizer]
> replace_nonascii_chars: True
> setting may be inappropriate for you
OK, I have changed it to:
replace_nonascii_chars: False

correct?
Do I have to RETRAIN?
Should I discard my "old" spambayes database before?

> and the default skip_max_word_size value of 12 may be too small
> (13-character words like Unterstützung are hurt by both of those:
> first the ü gets replaced by a question mark due to
> replace_nonascii_chars, and then the whole word gets replaced by a
> synthesized "skip: U 10" token because 13 > 12).
Do you really think I should change that, too? Any disadvantages?
WHERE, in which file (there are 2 Options.py and 2 tokenizer.py
files containing skip_max_word_size)
Why is there no .INI file for the main spambayes program?

> Still, I appreciate that it's better than nothing even
> with the poor performance you reported <wink>.
YES.

Thanks again,
               Andreas