[Spambayes] optimal training ratio of spam/ham

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Wed Nov 5 23:52:30 EST 2003

This sounds like a problem I ran into with another Python program, but I no
longer remember exactly which program it was, or even which of my Red Hat
machines it was on.

However, at least through 7.3 and possibly later, Red Hat depends on having
Python 1.57 (I think) available for certain internal functions. Therefore,
the later versions of Python install as "Python2" instead of "Python" and
programs that need the later need to be specifically pointed at that.

In the earlier case, it took a "configure with python=/path/to/python2" to
make the program work.

Does someone more on top of these things remember the specifics, and know how
Russ can use them in this case?

Van

Russ Foster wrote:

> Yes, I'm trying to get SpamBayes installed on a RedHat 7.3 system.
>
> My problem is getting the latest version of Python. Here's the
> output:
>
> --
>
> [root at orion Python-2.3.2]# ./configure
> checking MACHDEP... linux2
> checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
> checking for --without-gcc... no
> checking for --with-cxx=<compiler>... no
> checking for c++... c++
> checking for C++ compiler default output... a.out
> checking whether the C++ compiler works... configure: error: cannot run
> C++ compiled programs.
> If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
> See `config.log' for more details.
> [root at orion Python-2.3.2]#
>
> --
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -r
>
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Neale Pickett wrote:
> > I can only assume from this comment that you're using an RPM-based
> > system.  You may have a better luck installing Python from source.  You
> > can download the source tarball from python.org, untar it somewhere,
> > then (as root):
> >
> >   ./configure && make install
> >
> > After a few minutes, you should have a working version of Python, which
> > should be all you need to get SpamBayes installed.
> >
> > Let me know how that goes :)

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,