[Spambayes] Is simple better?

Neale Pickett neale at woozle.org
Tue Nov 4 15:20:12 EST 2003

"Andrew J. Coutermarsh" <AndrewC at primeworld.com> writes:

>> can you be more specific?
>
> Well, what I meant by that is this, for example: If somebody includes
> you in a CC:, it would get snatched up.

I think Andrew meant BCC here.

Also, some companies send e-commerce receipts to "undisclosed
recipients", so that would go into your spam folder as well.  Be sure to
poke through your spam folder when you order something on-line.  Mailing
lists suffer a similar fate, but you probably already sort those into
their own folders.

I used a "if it's not to me, it's spam" rule in procmail for quite a
while.  It did work pretty well, but spambayes does a much better job.

John, since you mentioned you were using Red Hat, I'm going to guess
that your problem had to do with package dependencies while trying to
install Python.  You may have better luck installing Python from source.
Just download it, untar, and run

  ./configure && make install

as root.  You should then have a working Python installation and can
install SpamBayes just fine.

Hope this helps

Neale