[Spambayes] SpamBayes questions

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon May 12 18:58:59 EDT 2003

    SM> Please, no.  SpamAssassin also only filters messages.  I recall
    SM> seeing it slammed in public forums because some system managers got
    SM> the bright idea to configure the downstream procmail to delete
    SM> messages whose scores were "high enough".  Naturally enough, SA got
    SM> blamed.  While we can't prevent sys admins from hanging themselves,
    SM> we ought to at least make them build the gallows and buy the rope.

    Neville> I would never suggest anyone else do this, however no one
    Neville> should stop me, if that's what I really want to do. Over a
    Neville> weekend I can easily get 100+ spam emails a day, with maybe 1
    Neville> or 2 ham mixed in. It is just a nightmare and enormous waist of
    Neville> time to manage.

That's why God invented procmail. ;-) Oh, that I only got 100 spams a day!
I think I've had a couple hundred unique spams (that is spams that don't
look "the same" to my procmail filters) in the last 10 hours.

    Neville> To be honest I really haven't considered what normal users may
    Neville> or may not be capable of, I'm selfishly just looking for a
    Neville> solution to my problem, one that many others I'm sure would
    Neville> like to use.

I think "temporarily_hide_spam" would be more likely to be used successfully
by mere mortals.

Skip