[Spambayes] installation problems

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Mon May 12 12:33:41 EDT 2003

> I feel a little ashamed to write you, but after 2 day trying
> everything, I give up !

We're here to help, no need for feeling ashamed ;)

> I downloaded and installed:
> [Python 2.3b1]
> [win32all-153]
> [Spambayes-Outlook-Setup-002]

It's not going to hurt having these, but the only one that you require
is the last one.  The Outlook plugin (binary) will run without Python
installed (more accurately, I gather it installs the bits of Python that
are needed to run it).

> my system is win xp 5.1.2600 german running outlook 2002, version 10.0

It's hard to tell, since there isn't a lot of information, but I wonder
whether the problem might be that it's German.  There are issues with
languages that use something apart from a period ('.') as a decimal
separator (ie. a half is not 0.5, but 0,5).

(Discussion of this is in [ spambayes-Bugs-725466 ] Include a proper
locale fix in Options.py).

It appears that Outlook fiddles with the locale settings.  Either Mark
or I will check in a fix to this shortly.  However, this would mean that
you would have to use the cvs version, since the fix won't, obviously,
be in 002.  You could try getting the cvs code (since you have Python
installed already), and using that (you run addin.py to install the
plugin).

> installing the outlook add-in produces the following
> error-box: c:programme\spambayes outlook addin\spambayes_addin.dll
> unable to register the dll/ocx:dllregisterserver failed;
> code 0x00000000

This, however, doesn't sound like it's the locale problem.  Mark would
have a better idea than I would about what it might be - you could try
submitting a bug report via sf (http://sf.net/projects/spambayes), even
though you don't have a log.

The easiest way around this would certainly be to try using the cvs code
- it would probably result in more detailed error messages as well.