[Spambayes] pop3proxy HEADER_EXAMPLE and HEADER_FORMAT

Tue Mar 11 21:52:13 EST 2003

3/11/2003 9:44:15 PM, "Meyer, Tony" <T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz> wrote:

>An issue that Tony Lownds brought up is that pop3proxy currently has
HEADER_EXAMPLE, which is used in response to a pop3 STAT or LIST command to
calculate the new size of the message, in case the mailer needs to know, and
asks.

>With the new headers, this is a problem.  Level and MailId are easy enough,
but evidence (i.e. hammie_debug) could be just about any size.

>What's the collective answer?  I do recall from previous messages that Richie
was originally much more careful about making things the right size ("No " and
"Yes", for example), and then IIRC decided to give this up and fix it if
anyone broke.

I was noticing this very thing today as I started preparing to do that header
module thing.  This is a problem, because AFAIK mailers expect the pop3proxy
to give them a buffer size when they do a list, or stat.  One idea here is to
add the headers willy-nilly, then determine the length of the resulting header
text.  Another would be to place an upper boundary on how much text we will
add to the headers, report a header that size, and make sure we never exceed
that size.  If we do, we could drop headers in some sort of priority order
until we're under the limit.  I like the first idea better, but I'm not sure
it works with STAT.  You *could* do a test with all those mailers you have
installed and see if any of them *use* stat...  If you set options.verbose =
True, pop3proxy produces a log of all the interactions it proxys...

>Along similar lines, HEADER_FORMAT used to define the header format, which is
now hard coded.  Should the decision be to wipe HEADER_FORMAT out, or to have
a HEADER_FORMAT for each header?  (This could go into the header module that
TimS is building).  It stoped being used at r1.36, without any comments in the
checkin about why (it was a big checkin, though).

I don't see that there's any value to this field...

c'est moi - TimS
http://www.fourstonesExpressions.com
http://wecanstopspam.org