[Spambayes] OT: pedantism (was: Bayesian virus detection?)

Fri Jan 31 11:45:11 EST 2003

1/31/2003 11:33:05 AM, Neale Pickett <neale at woozle.org> wrote:

>Matt Sergeant <msergeant at startechgroup.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On Friday, Jan 31, 2003, at 16:44 Europe/London, Neale Pickett wrote:
>>
>>> PS: Klez and its ilk are properly called worms, not viruses.  Not that
>>>     anyone would fail to understand what you meant if you said virus, I
>>>     guess.
>>
>> Worms are viruses.  As are Trojans and a whole bunch of other
>> things. Virus is the generic term for a program that spreads itself by
>> one means or another. The more specific term (e.g. worm) indicates the
>> means with which it spreads.
>
>Hmm, not according to my dictionary:
>
>  http://catb.org/esr/jargon/html/entry/virus.html
>
>Although it does appear that I was incorrect in characterising Klez as a
>worm--it would be, according to esr, a virus.
>
>Every report I've seen on Klez calls it a "worm".  So maybe the larger
>point is that there's no longer a clear consensus on what is a worm and
>what is a virus, and I should go back to merging mboxtrain and
>hammiebulk.  ;)

I think that while you're at it, we should refactor the Corpus stuff, so that
messages and databases and training and classifying are all handled in exactly
one place in the system.  Richie has this idea of a 'spambayes server' which
is the heart and soul of the systems, and that all the user facing stuff
fronts.... what say you?  - TimS