[Spambayes] Congratulations

François Granger francois.granger at free.fr
Wed Jan 22 19:02:46 EST 2003

Today I got the latest CVS version on my work Mac (Cube MacOS 9.1 192MB
RAM).

I copied my bayescustomize.ini file and my db file from my previous setup
(dated December 2) and ran the new version through pop3proxy.py.

Et voilà ! [1]

It worked like a charm.

By the way, I think that the released version should ship with a minimal
bayescustomize.ini file loaded for pop3proxy use with a fake server. People
will have an easier time to replace this with their real server name.
Something like:

[pop3proxy]
pop3proxy_persistent_storage_file = hammie.db
pop3proxy_servers = pop.yourisp.com, pop.otherisp.com
pop3proxy_ports = 110, 1110
# Replace the values pop.yourisp.com, pop.otherisp.com by you real servers.
# In you mail app, as pop server, put
# 127.0.0.1 for the account pop.yourisp.com and
# 127.0.0.1:1110 for the account pop.otherisp.com
# and you are done. If you uses Eudora, see documentation.

[globals]
dbm_type = best
verbose = False

[html_ui]
html_ui_launch_browser = True
html_ui_port = 8880
html_ui_allow_remote_connections = True

Anyway, I don't think that Spambayes on OS 9 will ever be a hit because:
- it is really slow and slow down mail retrieval (thanks cooperative
  multitasking where some does not cooperate enough)
- It needs a lot of memory (I gave it 25 MB) and since memory allocation
  is not dynamic on MacOS 9, your are stuck with less memory or you have
  to launch it only when needed, which diminish the usefulness.

[1] As americans say... ;-)
--
Le courrier est un moyen de communication. Les gens devraient
se poser des questions sur les implications politiques des choix (ou non