[Spambayes] spambayes fronting a mailing list?

Thu Jan 16 11:52:15 EST 2003

1/16/2003 10:35:39 AM, Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote:

>[Barry A. Warsaw]
>> My idea was to not train the list at all, before turning on
>> spambayes.  So the first batch of messages will all get held as
>> unsure, and you'd use the admindb page to accept and reject messages.
>> Accept messages would train as ham and rejected messages would get
>> trained as spam.

I think I'm hearing something on this thread that doesn't make much sense to
me.  If we always train as spam stuff that's been classified as spam, always
train as ham stuff that's been classified as ham, then we're kinda reinforcing
the obvious, and increasing the spaminess of words in that spam... isn't it
more realistic (and ultimately actually better) to train on a random sample
rather than always?  - TimS