[Spambayes] spambayes fronting a mailing list?

Thu Jan 16 07:13:09 EST 2003

1/16/2003 12:11:59 AM, Anthony Baxter <anthony at interlink.com.au> wrote:

>> So as your list warms up, you'll be training the system.  I wonder how
>> long it'll take before spambayes gets pretty good at detecting what's
>> appropriate and what's not for your list?
>
>This seems like a plan - so long as the UI doesn't suck too hard :)
>
>Previous experiments have shown that it learns _really_ quickly,
>if the subject matter's really focussed... something like 20 messages
>gave a remarkably good result, from memory.

This is exactly what I did, and it started producing results immediately.
After I had trained on only a few (maybe 5) or so spam, it began classifying
nearly all spam correctly.  It didn't classify ham correctly very often at
that point, but I was ok with that.  Unsures and ham are much the same to
me...  - TimS