[Spambayes] message lost in the system?

Wed Feb 26 09:44:55 EST 2003

2/26/2003 9:26:17 AM, Jeremy Hylton <jeremy at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>I've been using a new MUA + spambayes setup for several weeks now.  Last
>night at least two messages got lost in the system, and I'm at a loss to
>explain how.  Luckily, there are copies of them sitting in the
>pop3proxy's pop3proxy-unknown-cache directory.
>
>I'm using Evolution 1.2.1 and have it configured to use pop3proxy for
>mail coming from my ISP's pop server.  I read a few messages using the
>ISP's web interface and was surprised to discover that they did not show
>up in Evolution when I downloaded the messages.
>
>I've got two pieces of software that I don't trust completely, but
>Evolution has been around longer so I trust it a bit more :-).  Has
>anyone else seen problems with the pop proxy losing mail?  I don't know
>that the proxy is to blame, but it would be my first guess.

No, but I haven't been looking, either.  Setting verbose: True in your Options
[global] section will produce a file named _pop3proxy.log with details of what
happened during the execution of the pop3proxy.  It may get a bit large, but
if you enable that, and have it running when a message gets lost, it may
contain some vital clues as to what happened.  Can you do this, and open a bug
against pop3proxy?

>One interesting thing is that the messages that got lost were the last
>messages to arrive in a big batch.  Is it possible that the proxy
>somehow failed to deliver the last few messages?

I would tend to point the finger at the proxy, but it's not at all obvious how
this could have happened.

>I also wonder what the cache directories are for and what it means that
>the lost messages were found in the "unknown" directory.

The pop3proxy caches incoming mail so it can later be instructed on how to
train those messages.  See the Review page on the pop3proxy user interface
(http://localhost:8880).  These messages are kept for 7 days, then discarded
if you do nothing else with them.

c'est moi - TimS
http://www.fourstonesExpressions.com