[Spambayes] imap4 filter

Neal Stoughton nmstough at uci.edu
Sun Dec 28 20:19:06 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Meyer" <tameyer at ihug.co.nz>
To: "'Neal Stoughton'" <nmstough at uci.edu>; <spambayes at python.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 16:44
Subject: RE: [Spambayes] imap4 filter

>> I tried installing spambayes, and ran into a problem when I
>> tried to access my imap4 folders.  After installing spambayes,
>> I ran the imap filter script.
>
> We can't really help without more details.  What problem?  Did you get an
> error message?  If so, what was it?
First note that in order to open the configuration web interface I have to
run "python scripts/sb_imapfilter.py -b".  The web interface will not open
with http://localhost:8880, possibly because there is no running web server
unless the script is executed first?  After I log out of the machine it
seems that the web server is stopped, so presumably the mail isnt being
filtered?

Heres what I get from the web interface when I select "configure folders to
filter":

500 Server error
Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "c:\python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\Dibbler.py", line 453, in
found_terminator
    getattr(plugin, name)(**params)

  File "c:\python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\ImapUI.py", line 175, in
onFilterfolders
    folderBox = self._buildFolderBox("imap", opt, available_folders)

  File "c:\python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\ImapUI.py", line 271, in
_buildFolderBox
    folderRow.folderName = folder

  File "c:\python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\PyMeldLite.py", line 738, in
__setattr__
    self._replaceNodeContent(node, value)

  File "c:\python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\PyMeldLite.py", line 654, in
_replaceNodeContent
    node.children = self._nodeListFromSource(value)

  File "c:\python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\PyMeldLite.py", line 640, in
_nodeListFromSource
    tree = _generateTree("<x>"+value+"</x>")

  File "c:\python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\PyMeldLite.py", line 574, in
_generateTree
    g.feed(source)

  File "c:\python23\Lib\site-packages\spambayes\PyMeldLite.py", line 499, in
feed
    self._parser.Parse(data)

ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line 1, column 70

>> Do I need to run the pop3proxy script too?  Note that I do
>> not use pop3; only imap4.
>
> No.
>
>> The installation instructions are not very clear on this.
>
> Please elaborate!  What isn't clear, and how could we improve it?  The
> more
> information you give us, the easier it is for us to fix it.

Because the POP3 instructions appear before the IMAP instructions and there
isnt a statement saying to skip them if youre only using IMAP, this isnt
clear.  I also had some problems figuring out how to install the spambayes
after installing python.  When it says to run "setup.py install" for
instance, this skips some matters.  I had to open a command prompt, page
through to the folder where the script was located; then I had to use the
command "c:\python23\python setup.py install" since the executable couldnt
otherwise be found.  Also, I dont understand why the script has to be run to
start the web browser; see above.