[Spambayes] eudora headers

Tom Peters tpeters at mixcom.com
Mon Dec 22 22:13:52 EST 2003

Eudora doesn't know about those headers directly; you have to do a little
more work than that. Fortunately, it's only a little more. Here's what my
filters look like:

Match:  Incomming       Manual
Header: X-Spambayes-Classification:     (type this manually into the box,
                                                 include the colon)
Contains:       spam
Ignore
Action: Make Label      SPAMFILTER
                 Transfer To     Trash
                 Play Sound      spikem.wav
                 Skip Rest

Analyzing that: The filter will match on new inbound mail or manual
application of filters via Ctrl-J or menu. You have to manually type
"X-Spambayes-Classification:" (without the quotes but with the colon) into
the box for what the header type is-- the Spambayes pop3 proxy invented
these headers, they aren't known in advance to the authors of Eudora. If
the header X-Spambayes-Classification: contains "spam" (lower case) the
filter should trigger.

The action triggered (in my case, you can do anything you like) I label the
message as to WHY it was trashed, trash it, and play a wavefile. I then
stop any further filter processing on that particular message. In Eudora
pro up to version 5 this was called Skip Rest in the pulldown, but I got
the feeling they might have renamed it "STOP" in version 6.

Create the two other minor variations: One where it contains the word
"unsure" which in my case labels the message as spam but doesn't move it so
I can inspect it. Another might check for X-Spambayes-Classification:
contains ham, to transfer good messages out of inbox into some sort of "new
mail" mailbox to keep your system mailboxes (In, Out, Trash) tidy.

I myself check only for "spam" and "unsure."

Hope this helps,

-Tom