[Spambayes] RE: Yahoo's "domain keys" and spam

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 14:58:47 EST 2003

[Robert Coe]
>> Where is it written that Spambayes would "add a token verifying
>> the presence of a domain key entry in the header"?

[Seth Goodman]
> My understanding of how SpamBayes deals with headers is that only
> headers that are specifically permitted in the .ini file are
> tokenized.  Unless this one was added to the list, it would not be
> tokenized.  At least that's how the Outlook plug-in version appears
> to work.

Yes, that's right for the Outlook plugin.  The underlying engine has dozens
of options, though, and *can* be configured to do lots of other things.  For
example, if the basic_header_tokenize option is enabled, a uniform kind of
tokenization of *all* header lines is performed.  The basic_header_skip
option is then active too, and can be set to a sequence of regular
expressions matching header lines that *shouldn't* get tokenized.

An example of another header gimmick we ignore by default is Habeas headers:

    http://www.habeas.com

The options search_for_habeas_headers and reduce_habeas_headers can be
enabled to pick those apart.

If the Yahoo gimmick appears to have any value, another option will surely
grow so people can try mining those; if it turns out to have a lot of value,
spambayes will then enable it by default.  That all depends on someone
caring enough about it to volunteer the work, of course.