[Spambayes] Outlook: Setting background filtering as the default.

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon Dec 8 04:02:42 EST 2003

Hi all,
  I'm thinking of changing the Outlook addin such that the 'Background
Filtering' option is enabled by default.  From our bug reports and the mails
here, it seems that enabling this option solves problems for many users, and
I don't recall a single person reporting significant problems with the
feature.

If I do enable this option by default, it will not affect existing users -
even when they upgrade to the (yet to be released) new version with the new
default value.  For existing users, the existing options file will be used,
which will already define a setting for this option.

Therefore, I ask existing Outlook users to change their existing
configuration.  I would appreciate it if existing users of the Outlook addin
could perform the following steps:
* Open the "SpamBayes Manager" via the toolbar.
* Select the "Advanced" tab.
* Select the "Enable Background Filtering" option.
* Set the "Processing Start Delay" to 2 seconds.
* Set the "Delay Between Processing Items" to 1 second.
* Click OK.

This will then configure SpamBayes as new users would see it.

Please then wait a few days and see how things go.  If this works fine for
you, and you believe these are reasonable defaults (even if they are not the
values you would choose to use), then please send just me (not the list) a
quick mail saying so.  If you see any problems, or believe these default
values are not appropriate, then please CC your reply to the list.

Thanks,

Mark.