[Spambayes] Spambayes vs. Popfile and other Bayesian classifiers

Seth Goodman nobody at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 3 12:30:27 EST 2003

[Peter Strisik]
> I went back and forth among popfile itself, outclass, and
> spambayes.  I use
> Outlook.  I've settled on outclass (www.vargonsoft.com).  It has been more
> reliable in classification for me than spambayes, I don't know
> why.  I also
> like the "safe view" button that opens the message's source code
> in notepad
> so you can see what it is without opening it in Outlook.

Outclass does have some nice UI features, as does the parser in the
underlying PopFile.  Could you be more specific as to what you mean by "more
reliable"?  Though SpamBayes still produces a fair amount of false negatives
for my mail stream, I have yet to experience a false positive.  This is
extremely important, as I *never* want to lose an important email in a large
spam folder.  Visually inspecting the large spam folder is not totally
reliable.  Could you state approximately what were your false negative
rates, false positive rates and total spam load per day?  Since Outclass
(and PopFile) support whitelists and blacklists, how much use did you make
of those features?

--
Seth Goodman

  Humans:   personal replies to sethg [at] GoodmanAssociates [dot] com

  Spambots: disregard the above