[Spambayes] sb_imapfilter (sort of) hangs when launched with -b argument

Jacob Farmer jacob-spambayes-list at statisticalanomaly.com
Wed Dec 3 09:15:54 EST 2003

Hello everyone,

I've been encountering a strange problem recently that probably warrants
a bug report, but I'm at a loss of how to provide enough useful
information to make one worthwhile.

When I start sb_imapfilter with the -b argument to launch the web
interface, the program starts as expected:

    suslik% ./sb_imapfilter.py -b
    SpamBayes IMAP Filter Beta1, version 0.1 (September 2003),
    using SpamBayes IMAP Filter Web Interface Alpha2, version 0.02
    and engine SpamBayes Beta2, version 0.2 (July 2003).

    User interface url is http://localhost:8880/

It then launches lynx, which sits at "HTTP request sent; waiting for
response." until it times out.  If I Ctrl-C out of lynx, I'll get this
message:

    Exiting via interrupt: 2

and then be dumped back to sb_imapfilter, which is still running.  If I
then Ctrl-Z the sb_imapfilter, bg it to start it again in the
background, and then start lynx and point it to the same address, I get
into the configuration interface without any trouble.

I have no idea why this happens (or how I figured out the workaround,
for that matter).  Some system information:

    suslik% uname -X
    System = SunOS
    Node = suslik
    Release = 5.8
    KernelID = Generic_108528-23
    Machine = sun4u
    BusType = <unknown>
    Serial = <unknown>
    Users = <unknown>
    OEM# = 0
    Origin# = 1
    NumCPU = 1

    suslik% python -V
    Python 2.3.2

    suslik% lynx -version
    Lynx Version 2.8.4rel.1 (17 Jul 2001)
    libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.5
    Built on solaris2.7 Feb 26 2002 18:10:07

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jacob