[Spambayes] RE: Installing Spambayes

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Mon Dec 1 01:04:50 EST 2003

[Please always direct spambayes questions to the spambayes mailing list
<spambayes at python.org>, not individual developers.]

> I wrote earlier about not being able to connect to localhost
> using spambayes to connect to my pop3 server.  Now I have another
> problem.  I uninstalled then attempted to reinstalled Spambayes.
> I cannot.  The error message is:
> running install_lib
> creating /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes
> error: could not create '/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/spambayes':
> Permission denied

This seems a fairly straight-forward message.  You don't have permission to
create the directory named in the message.  To install spambayes, you do
need that permission; either install it somewhere else, or get permission.

> I can install Spambayes and start the server as root but when
> I use a browser
> to go to http://localhost:8080/ I get the error message:
> Cannot connect to localhost

Are you deliberately using port 8080, rather than the default of 8880?  If
not, you may simply be using the wrong address.  What does the console
window where spambayes is running have in it?