[Spambayes] pop3proxy: "address already in use"?

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Thu Aug 28 16:34:42 EDT 2003

> Running "/usr/bin/pop3proxy.py -b", I get the following
> messages. Does the command start the server as well as try to
> launch the browser?

If it has been given the information to do so, yes, it will start
everything up and open a browser window.  If you haven't entered in the
server details, then the port that is already in use is probably 8880,
the interface one.  Try "pop3proxy.py -u xxxx -b", where xxxx is a port
you know is available.

> I'm also a little confused as to whether this needs to be run as root.

It doesn't.  However, normal restrictions apply, so if only root
processes can bind ports <1024, then pop3proxy will need to proxy on
ports >= 1024 or run as root.

> How does spambayes figure out what my default browser is?

See section 11.1 of the Python documentation:

<http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-webbrowser.html>