[Spambayes] SpamBayes : contribution

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 13:13:42 EDT 2003

[Romain GUY]
>> 	This lib is currently under GNU GPL but, as I did not
>> distribute it yet, I can change the license to PSF if you wish.

[Tony Meyer]
> I'll let Tim answer that one.

I'm afraid it's not just a licensing issue:  so far, the *copyright* on all
spambayes materials is held by the PSF (Python Software Foundation).
Dealing with multiple copyrights is more trouble than just about anything is
worth, for a project without a lawyer budget.

So if Romain is willing to give copyright to the PSF, no problem; else big
problem.  Note that the terms of the PSF license are less restrictive than
the terms of the GPL, and, e.g., anyone who wants to take PSF-licensed code
and mmodify/re-release in their project under the GPL is free to do so.  It
doesn't work in the other direction:  GPL-licensed code cannot be
modified/re-released under the PSF license (the GPL license imposes more
conditions than does the PSF license).  Giving copyright to the PSF isn't
very scary for that reason (there's little it stops you from doing).

If we wait a few months, the PSF is currently paying a lawyer to review a
"joint ownership" contribution agreement, enabling the PSF and a contributor
to effectively share copyright.  Until that option is available, I want to
see copyright held by the PSF alone.