[Spambayes] problems with spambayes

Meyer, Tony T.A.Meyer at massey.ac.nz
Tue Aug 12 18:54:11 EDT 2003

> Problems:
> 1) SMTP proxy hangs when I try to send mail

Do you get any sort of traceback?  I wonder if this is related to the
other problems too - if it can't do the training because something is
wrong, I'm not sure what it would do.  (Really must commit those
improvements sometime soon...)

> 2) Inbound messages are getting passed through, but are only
> intermittently appearing on the 'review' page on the
> SpamBayes web interface

Not sure about this one.  It might be a symptom from the other problems
- I don't think that any messages with the "X-Spambayes-Exception"
header would end up on the review page.

> 3) Inbound messages contain the header:
>      in probability() at
>         spambayes/classifier.py line 310: assert spamcount <= nspam

This means that the database is screwed.  You need to retrain from
scratch.  It would be worth checking what dbm you are using (unless
you're using pickles).  If it's dumbdbm, then you should either get
something else, or use pickles.  FAQ 5.2 applies:
<http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/faq.html#my-database-keeps-getting-cor
rupted>

> 4) When setting 'Add unique spambayes id' to both 'header'
> and 'body' (via the web interface), the 'save' button
> triggers the exception: Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
> AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'append'

Drat, so it does.  I've checked in a fix for this to cvs.  Unless you
want to run from cvs, your only solution is to edit the config file by
hand - just make the value "body header".