[Spambayes] imapfilter mangling headers!

Thu Apr 17 09:34:00 EDT 2003

4/17/2003 8:16:21 AM, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

>So I just got started with spambayes and tried to train my system
>using imapfilter.py.  The first problem was that I had to discover on
>my own that I needed to edit spambayes/Options.py in order to keep
>imapfilter.py from raising exceptions.

Keeping in mind that this is still classified as alpha level software... We
are currently writing the documentation so you don't have to discover this
stuff for yourself, and the configuration prog so you can do this through your
browser.  It will modify a file named bayescustomize.ini, which is where your
Options.py modifications should go.

>Then, once I'd done that, I was able to get it to do this:
>
>    %src/spambayes/imapfilter.py -t -c -v -D bayes.db
>    bayes.db is a new database
>    Done.
>    Training
>    Training took 10.5770339966 seconds, 0 messages were trained
>    Classifying
>
>Now, should I be concerned that "0 messages were trained"?

Not if you didn't have anything in your training folders.

>Should I be concerned that -v didn't produce much verbose output?

No

>Since I didn't get any, I decided to poke around and see what was
>happening.  I went to the "unsure" mailbox (known as UnsureBox) in
>Gnus, and found that none of the messages showed up with senders or
>subjects.  Taking a look at the raw messages, I found the following:

There's nothing here...

>Needless to say, I interrupted the classification process!  What
>should I do now?  At least 1000 messages have been processed this
>way.  Are they hopelessly mangled?

We have not seen header dropping in our testing, which is in the very early
stages.  Since you interrupted the classification, the original messages
should still be in your inbox, though they may have their delete flag set.

What imap server are you using?  At any rate, you should probably refrain from
using the filter on your production mailbox until we figure out what happened
when it looked at your system.  To quote a post from a few days ago: "IMAP
seems to be a really flukey kind of interface, and until it's been used
on lots of imap servers, by lots of people, I won't be convinced that it's
really correct."

c'est moi - TimS
http://www.fourstonesExpressions.com
http://wecanstopspam.org