[Spambayes] Latest spammer trick stymied - QUESTION

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com
Tue Apr 1 11:29:37 EST 2003

From: Neale Pickett [mailto:neale at woozle.org]
> So many, in fact, that I think there ought to be a FAQ on the web
> page somehwere, to the tune of:

+1

Can I also suggest:

Q: I just got a spam, but the system said it was "unsure". Why
   couldn't it tell that it was spam - it's obvious?
A: It may be obvious to you, but the classifier only works on
   the information it has been given. Maybe this is "new" (you've
   never seen this particular flavour of spam before), or maybe
   there aren't enough clues in the message which the system is
   aware of as strong spam clues.

Q: OK, I trained on that message. But I just got *another* one,
   and the stupid system still thinks it's unsure. Why did it
   ignore me???
A: It didn't, but you may need to train on a few more of this type
   of message to get it classified as "spam". The classification
   algorithm weights its results based on the number of times it
   has seen a particular clue, so that clues unique to this type
   of message may need a few more instances to become "convincing".

Paul.