[Spambayes] Matt Sergeant: Introduction

Matt Sergeant msergeant@startechgroup.co.uk
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:28:37 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Hi Matt.  Nice to hear you here.
>

>>(at messagelabs you point your MX to us, and we "clean" your email
>>then forward it on)
>

> Do you actually delete spam or just mark it?  If you delete it, how do
> you deal with false positives?

Customer configurable with two thresholds. i.e. at one threshold forward
to an admin (or tag with a header) and at another threshold delete.

We deal with FP's as seriously as possible - we'll globally whitelist
anyone who is consistently sending out spammy subscriber newsletters,
and we consistently make things better as we go along (like by feeding
FP's back into the classifier multiple times <grin>). Other than that
there's not a lot we can do - it gets lost in the bit bucket (we've
thought about quarantining, but the disk space required to do that even
for 24 hours would be just insane - approximately 25 Gig of storage per
day). It's a lot easier for viruses, where we just quarantine everything
for 30 days ;-)

Matt.